The Presidential Election is Tuesday, November 3, 2020
Due to COVID-19 (coronavirus) all active registered voters in New Jersey will be mailed a VOTE-BY-MAIL (VBM) ballot for the November General Election. Ballots will be mailed by each county by October 5, 2020 and should arrive no later than the second week of October.https://www.youtube.com/embed/tchl8u-RCMs?version=3&rel=1&showsearch=0&showinfo=1&iv_load_policy=1&fs=1&hl=en-US&autohide=2&wmode=transparent
Three ways to Vote before Election Day:
- Return your Vote-By-Mail (VBM) Ballots either by USPS Mail or
- Secure Drop Box
- In-person ballot delivery to Essex County Board of Elections/Hall of Records office and be prepared to show ID (identification). 465 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Newark, NJ 07102
All voters are strongly encouraged to vote by returning your ballot as soon as possible so it reaches the Election Officials by the deadline. Essex County is planning to add secure drop boxes in additional to the current locations to ensure voters can drop their ballots instead of mailing. BALLOT BOX LOCATIONS FOR ESSEX COUNTYDOWNLOAD
Voting on Election Day
Voting on Election Day at your designated polling place will be limited to:
- ADA compliant voting machines for disabled only. Machines will not be available for other voters
- Provisional paper ballots for voters who did not receive a Vote-By- Mail (VBM) ballot, lost it, mis-marked their VBM ballot etc.
- Putting your your signed sealed VBM ballot at the Nutley secure ballot drop box, or any other Essex County ballot drop boxes.
- In-person hand-off of your signed sealed VBM ballot at your designated polling place
- In-person signed sealed VBM ballot delivery to Essex County Board of Elections/Hall of Records office and be prepared to show ID (identification). 465 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard, Newark, NJ 07102
WHERE IS MY BALLOT?
We expect all registered voters to have received their VBM ballots by October 15, 2020. If you have not received your ballot, don’t worry you can download a Ballot replacement form from the County. We will post the link when it is available
Or you can call your County Clerk’s Office to request a replacement ballot over the phone. If you live in Essex County, the Board of Elections can be reached at (973) 621-5070
FILLING OUT A VBM BALLOT
For many of us this will be our first time filling out a vote-by-mail ballot (also sometimes referred to as a mail-in ballot or VBM ballot). So It is important to get it right because all components of your VBM ballot must be filled out correctly for your vote to be valid. Your vote is your voice, make sure it counts! Click for tutorial
ARE YOU A REGISTERED VOTER?
Deadline to Register to vote is Tuesday, Oct 13, 2020
Not sure if and where you are registered, Remember if you moved within NJ, you must file a change of address with the County of your new residence. Check here
New Register online:, Starting September 4, 2020, you will be able to register to vote online. https://voter.svrs.nj.gov/register
VOTE-BY-MAIL (VBM) FAQ
New to the vote-by-mail process? Here is a list of frequently asked questions.
SECOND BALLOT (Replacement) Requests
Maybe you didn’t receive the first VBM ballot that was automatically sent to you? Or maybe it was misplaced? Accidentally thrown away? Made a mistake filling it out? No worries, it happens. Call the Essex County Board of Elections at (973) 621-5070 for current timely information on obtaining a replacement ballot.
DID THEY GET MY BALLOT?
Make sure your vote counts. Sign up for online tracking of the status of your ballot.
Before you return your ballot, take a photo, or write down your Voter ID number. This number is located above the barcode on the back of the ballot return envelope. You can use your ballot ID number or your social Security number to track the status of your vote and confirm the receipt of your ballot
Or you can contact the Essex County Board of Election about the status of your ballot at (973) 621-5070